Scripture – Mark 6
Observation & Application – The Struggle of Discipleship.
- Mark 6:7-12 Jesus sends out the disciples, He gives them authority over unclean spirits; they cast out demons and heal people. If I was given this ‘authority’ and it worked, I’d be sold!
- Mark 6:14-29 John the Baptist loses his head at the whim of a contentious women and a weak man. If I had to bury the headless corpse of this zealous follower of Christ, I’d begin to doubt. Is it true? Is it worth it?
- Mark 6:13-56 Jesus feeds a lot of folks with just a few fish and loaves and then follows it up with a stroll on the water. After witnessing the miraculous feeding you’d think I’d be sold! But when I see Jesus walking on water I’m frightened. There is something in me that sees and believes. There is also something in me that does not see clearly enough, is frightened and doubtful.
Prayer – “I believe, Lord help my unbelief!” the prayer of the saved who are honest about their struggle in following Christ in Discipleship.
Scripture – Mark 7
Observation & Application – What really matters?
- Mark 7:1-23 The Pharisees were in many ways good, religiously observant Jews. In fact, they were too good at keeping the letter of the Law while sacrificing the Spirit of the Law. Jesus shifts the focus to the heart, our heart. It is not what we do, but why we do it. Our motivation and our thoughts that drive our words and our actions reveal who we are. Who am I? One in desperate need of a Savior, in fact so needy, I’ll willingly eat the crumbs of salvation from under the table of Jehovah God. (Mark 7:24-30)
- Mark 7:31-37 A deaf man is healed by Jesus. The people are, “astonished beyond measure.” Jesus charges them to “tell no one” – they tell everyone! No one can argue with our personal experience.
Prayer – Lord, you are sufficient. One drop of your blood was enough to save us all, but you willingly shed it all… for each one of us, for me. As an act of worship, I offer back myself in obedience and discipleship. By the power of your Spirit, strengthen me for the cost of discipleship, and give me gracious words that flow from a pure heart to share my personal experience. Amen.